Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A shocking accident (by Graham Greene)

Jarome´s father died in an accident which was rather bizarre. This is the key of the story.  All along his life, Jarome has to deal with his father´s death because of people reactions towards it: everyone except him, of course, found the way the father died rather funny.

The story deals with black humor because it talks about a sad subject in a humorous way. The author´s way of writing is simple which makes the reading easy. I recommend the story because it makes the reader think, especially at the end.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I read this story years ago. It has a big irony of appearance and reality. Where is the appearance and where the reality? The appearance is reflected in Jerome's father death itself. Well...you should discover whether or not that death is real at all. I wonder if this is a case of 'double irony'. bye