Friday, October 3, 2008

'Pride and Prejudice' by Jane Austen

This classic is a romantic story with passages of comedy as well. It shows the reader which were the values of the English society and the role of women in it, especially in a poor family with five daughters. At the same time it talks about themes that go beyond any time, like pride, appearances, and prejudice, of course.

I think that everyone who likes English literature should read this novel. The plot and the dialogues would make the reader never want to put the book down. I strongly recommend it.   

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not read this story but probably it would be nice for those who like history or are interested in culture. Besides, the role of the women along all this years has changed so it would be a good oportunity to know how it was in that moment.

Anonymous said...

This is the type of short story I like most. I wiil read it because
I love romantic and social stories. And, as Martin said, it is good to see how was the role of women in sociaty years ago.I will
read it and then I'll tell you what I think about it.

Anonymous said...

It is one of the stories you have to read for the sake of knowing a bit more about English literature. I would like to read it. Then, we can discuss about it. See you!

Anonymous said...

Well, this is a short story I would like to read. I love novels which reflect English life in the past because these allow you to know how society worked at that time especially the woman`s rol.

Noelia said...

I think a good story is the one that catch up the reader's atention from the very begining through the title.
Also I agree with Yesica and Martín about the importance of the role of women in a society.
I would like to read it because I am very interested in stories like this.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, but I made a mistake. Instead of "story" it should be written "novel". I think it worths to correct it because there is a huge difference in lenght, especially in this case!

Anonymous said...

This novel is the one I would like to read in my free time. As most of my mates have said its plot catches up the reader´s attention on social issues such as the women´s role and society. I think that this novel would be helpfull for those who are learning about the past English society and its rules and norms.