Saturday, October 11, 2008

A DRINK IN THE PASSAGE (by Alan Paton)

I have read "A DRINK IN THE PASSAGE" by Alan Paton. The theme is segregation and discrimination in South Africa in the 60’s and the story shows that removing barriers between black and white people was not an easy matter in that moment. The theme is interesting but I think that the plot is not because it lacks of surprise or twist at the end. In my opinion, the plot is not gripping.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I would really like to read this one because we are reading another book, which name is" The Colour Purple", by Alice Walker, related to segregation for Culture II as well and it would be very interesting to keep on learning about the way black people suffered discrimination. Although the subject is rather sad and cruel sometimes,it´s useful for us to realize how cruel and unfair people can be and, in this way, understand that any reason justified their behavior towards black people.

Anonymous said...

This is a good story I read last year in language II and enjoyed a lot. The main theme is discrimination which happens to occur in South Africa. The plot is attracting because the theme is powerful. In this sense, I agree with Martin that it somewhat lacks in surprise and tale twist by the end. However, there’s something in this story that catches the reader attention. Bye

Noelia said...

Hi Martín!
I would like to read this story as soon as I can. Please let me know if you can lend me it!

Anonymous said...

I think this is a very interesting topic to read about, I' m particularly interested in British history and its relationship with the colonies, especially India and Africa, so I´ d like to read this story.

Anonymous said...

I read this story last year and I love the theme. I think that it has a good plot to understand how black people suffered from racial discrimination in those days.
Unfortunately,some black people still have been discriminated.

Anonymous said...

I read this short story and I liked it a lot. It's nice to discuss the barries between the main characters. Also, the title is very interesting, I think it's a kind of symbol in the story.

Noelia said...

Hi Martín!
I read "A drink in the passage" as you know. As regards the theme of the short story, it is a very interesting one, by contrast I did not found the plot as gripping as I expected.