Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The color purple (by Alice Walker)

The story is settled in 1930, in Georgia town, south of United States, where a black woman called Celie suffers all kind of physical and phsychological abuses from her stepfather and then from her husband. This weak woman after delivering two babies, a boy and a girl, who were the result of her stepfather's rapes, begins a whole change in her life, after receiving some letters from a dear sister, she thought was dead.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I have read the story and seen the movie. Some friends think they are great. From my point of view, there's something missing from the story. I don't know why I have that feeling. It is as if I were expecting more from Celie.

Anonymous said...

I think we have to take in account the historical context because it was the thirties in a black farm comunity where black women were exploited at work and oppressed by black men, too. For me she hae done her best.

Anonymous said...

I think "The Color Purple" is an excellent story because of its historical context. When I read it, I understood black women's situation in those times.

Anonymous said...

I saw the movie and I feel very sorry for the treat that black women recieved in that days. Excellent story. I liked it.