http://www.online-literature.com/dickens/120/
(review by Noelia Moni)
Schoolboy’s story is a short story written by Charles Dickens in which the
narrator talks about a child’s experiences at school and the teachers he has had. Old Cheesman, an“orphan child of a desinhereted young lady”, is the main character of the story. He spends so many years at school where he suffers his teachers bad treats. There Old Cheeseman met his only friend Jane. In Dickens words, “She was not quite pretty, but she had a very frank, honest, bright face (...)”.In addition he is made second Latin Master and in a few months his life changes.
The author makes full descriptions of the characters, some comparisons and is not so easy to read if you can not stablish a relation of its vocabulary and try to imagine the atmosphere of the story in your mind. Because of that, you have to pay too much atention to what each sentence means and in which way the story change.
I would recommend this story for adults, mainly because it is not so easy to follow. In fact if you do not have an idea about what was the school like some years ago, you will find this story a bit boring. But Dicken’s story is amazing for those who want to know the feeling of a child when he is in a boarding school, without nobody to take care of him, and suffering the punish of his teachers.
6 comments:
I would like to read this story. I like Dickens' "A Christmas Carol". I read it when I was at school and I really like it.
This short story seems to be very interesting. I read something similar in Roald Dahl`s short story where Dahl wrote about his childhood, more precisely his own experience in a boarding school.
HI Noelia
I think that the story is very good because it is related to our profession. Besides I like history so I consider that it would be an interesting story.
It seems to me that the plot of this short story is based on working of society .I´m not sure but I think that most Charles Dickens´ plot were taken from people experiences or his own experience.Nowdays,our society have got another rules and laws. Each school has its own rule and belief and in my opinion this is great because we can change things for the better.
Marisol
This story makes me think of "The Wall" by Pink Floyd which shows the bad treatment that the teachers had towards students in older times. It was horrible how the children were treated. Fortunately, that situation changed for good.
Noelia, as I said in another comment, I like so much Charles Dickens and I agree with you about stories written by him are not so easy to follow. But I´ ll recommend them because the stories show real facts of the Victorian times.
Post a Comment