Sunday, August 24, 2008

EURO CUP 2008: THE POINT OF VIEW OF THE PRESS


Germany 0 Spain 1: Torres´ flash of steel and skill dispatches laboured Germans

Sam Wallace

The Independent

http://www.independent.co.uk/

Torres delivers finishing touch to make Spain kings of Europe

Kevin Mc Carra

The Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk

(Review by Martín Leardi)

A lot of newspaper articles were written about the football Euro cup 2008 won by Spain last month. I will compare two of them, from the British newspapers The Independent and The Guardian. The first one has certain characteristics that the second one does not have. For instance, it has references to Spanish culture and history. I think that is better because it gives readers more complete information.

First, I am going to discuss the The Independent article. Some of the passages are written in a poetic way. For instance, Wallace writes “A team who pass the ball like gods” referring to Spain. Another feature of his writing style is that he compares football to Spanish traditions. He chooses a great phrase to describe the moment when Fernando Torres kicks the goal which allows his country to be the champion. It is “Young matador dispatched a very stubborn, cantankerous old bull.” The article informs about history, too. The fact that Spain had not won an international trophy since 1964 is also present.

The second article is from the The Guardian. It is good for those who enjoy reading simpler newspaper articles because the author does not write in a poetic way. Another important thing is that this article expresses footballers´ opinions about the final match so people can know the different points of view.

To finish, for those who like reading poetic articles I would recommend the one from The Independent because the author uses more interesting words and phrases when he writes. Besides, it offers more information regarding history and culture. On the other hand, I would recommend the article from The Guardian for people who are interesting in the players´ opinions.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin, the phrase 'young matador dispatched a very stubborn, cantankerous old bull' with reference to the niño Torres defeating the Germans is poetic but for the Spanish and some fanatics, not for the Germans, who were the loosers this time. In this same sense, a person can regard as metaphorical the next phrase expressed by a journalist about Shakira although the singer wouldn't take it as poetic:'Young singer dispatched a very stubborn, digusted audience after they heard her barking like a dog' Still this phrase is poetical, but not regarded as such by the singer in question.

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin, the phrase 'young matador dispatched a very stubborn, cantankerous old bull' with reference to the niño Torres defeating the Germans is poetic but for the Spanish and some fanatics, not for the Germans, who were the loosers this time. In this same sense, a person can regard as metaphorical the next phrase expressed by a journalist about Shakira although the singer wouldn't take it as poetic:'Young singer dispatched a very stubborn, digusted audience after they heard her barking like a dog' Still this phrase is poetical, but not regarded as such by the singer in question.

August 28, 2008 4:43 PM

Anonymous said...

Hi Martin. It is amazing to find that there is a poetic way to write articles about sports. With metaphors and all that stuff. I could never imagine that it exists. I usually see in the newspapers very plain articles about sports. I think that The Independent must be for cultured people (or dedicated to a high class society). Now, you can notice in which class i belong. Interesting.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Robert. Newspapers make football so boring. I like football matches, and I understand more than you can imagine. I don't watch European matches, but I think I'll do it.

Anonymous said...

Hi!well Ilike the idea of finding poetic phrases in newspaper articles. I am reading "Buenos Aires Herald" once a week and I find some poetic phrases and it is good because it make the reading more interesting.