(review by Ruth Castillo)
“On the Northern Ice” is a suspense and mystery short story written by Elia W. Peattie. It was first published in 1898. The story takes place in Echo bay and on the northern ice. This story tells the reader about a young man, Ralph Hagadorn, who skates over the ice during all the night to arrive in a wedding. A thrilling climax comes near the end with an unexpected twist in the tale.
It begins when Hagadorn, the main character, goes out for
This short story seems to be very simple at the beginning but it is a complex one in the end. With the unfolding of events, the reader realizes that there is a main occurrence that he or she has not paid attention to it. This happening has a particular purpose which is only fully seen in later events. The setting is unusual with an exciting plot which is based on mysteries. It makes the reader has a great expectation. It can be proved with an extract from the short story:
“It came to him with a shock that he was not alone. His eyelashes were frosted and his eyeballs blurred with the cold, so at first he thought it might be an illusion.”
I would recommend it because this original suspense and mystery story will keep you paying attention from beginning to end. Moreover, I think that “On the Northern Ice” will give the reader a different perception about life and death.
6 comments:
I would choose this short story to read.I liked the theme of the story.Also,the last paragraph of the review convinced me.
Jésica López
How interesting. I would like to read it to find out which are those tricky events. I want to know how the writer deals with that, beacause i had no the opportunity to read something similar like that before. I will check it.
I love reading mistery and suspence short stories so I ´ll read "On the Northern ice" as sonon as I can.
Marisol
I read this short story twice and i didn´t like it. I had to read it twice in order to understand what was happening to the characters.Ruth said that this short story has suspence and mystery and I was thinking about that while I was reading it.in my opinion "On the Northern ice" hasn´t got this sort of things.to finish, I didn´t like it so I´ll go on reading another things.
marisol
Marisol, I agree with you that this short story is difficult. As Robert said it has tricky events. I had to read it twice too! But I told the truth, it has suspense and mystery. Think about it; the fact that we had to read the story twice is because we didn’t realize that there is a previous event which is really important to understand the end. It is a mystery event! Also, it causes suspense because after that event, you don’t know what will happen next. Well, I think that the complexity of that event is what makes it so fantastic and incredible mystery event.
I like suspense and mystery stories a lot. I think that in a story like this it is important the existence of a twist at the end because it surprises the readers and makes them enjoy what they are reading.
Post a Comment