Sunday, August 24, 2008

The Happy Prince


“The Happy Prince” is one of the famous fairy tales written by Oscar Wilde in 1888. It is a well-written story that shows the self-sacrifice and love in a sad and original way.

The plot centres on a beautiful and admired statue of a Happy Prince “gilded all over with thin leaves of fine gold, for eyes he has two bright sapphires, and a large red ruby glows on his sword-hilt”. However, the Happy Prince was very unhappy because he can see the misery and the suffering of his people from his pedestal. He persuades a little Swallow, who is on his way to Egypt, to help him. The Swallow takes off the Happy Prince’s jewels in order to give them to the poor, but the statue soon turns grey and dull and the Swallow dies because of the cold weather. And what happen to the unattractive statue and the body of the Swallow? You `ll have to read the story to find out!

“The Happy Prince” is excellent, with passages which show the friendship, the sacrifice and the love for the others and that catches the reader’s attention. It gives us an idea of compassion and selflessness. Through the roles of The Happy Prince and the Swallow, Wilde expresses that if you do something good for one you will get something good back.

“The Happy Prince” is well worth reading if you enjoy stories about generosity, love and sacrifices. This fairy tale reveals a writer with great passion, a desire of beauty and love for other people. If you haven’t read it, make sure you get a copy.


6 comments:

Marisol Mallemaci said...

I read this short story two years ago and I think that it contains an excellent message. The reader will discover in this short story, love and generosity, as Sandra has said.I highly recommend this fairly tale.

Anonymous said...

I haven´t read this story but I think it´s a good one because of the excellent review Sandra wrote. I´ll take it into account for my summer readings.

Anonymous said...

I read this story four years ago. I consider it charming and moving. It includes lots of symbols which enrich the story wonderfully.
"The Happy Prince" involves revealing thoughts. The style of the story makes it more interesting as it is told from the perspective of a child.

Noelia said...

I agree with Marisol. The happy prince is a story which contains an excellent message. I read this story and it is very amazing. In fact it makes the reader think about what is really important in life.
It is also important to take into account that Oscar Wilde is a well known writer. I think that he includes true facts, in a determined space and social situation in his stories.

Anonymous said...

I have read only one story written by Oscar Wilde. I found it very interesting with a well thought-out plot. According with the message that "the happy prince" bears like friendship, the sacrifice and the love for others, we can learn some values that have been lost. Also how ours actions can bless other people that surround us. So I think “The Happy Prince” could be a nice story.
carolina

Anonymous said...

I would like to read this story. I like the ones that leave a message beyond the reading. I will take this story into account for my next readings.