
Frank O'Connor
FRANK O'CONNOR: NEW PERSPECTIVES edited by Robert C. Evans and Richard Harp.
(review by Jésica López)
The Man of the House is the story of a little boy, who is the narrator, that has to take care of his sick mother, in spite of being too young, because they are alone in the world. It is said that this is a semi-autobiographical story, which deals with the author's childhood and in particular with the close relationship he had with his mother
The story is simple and naive. It is narrated in the first person and it is set in
The author's way of writing is very simple making the story fast and easy to read it. But, the reader can feel that expected more from the plot too because it is rather childish, especially some events, for in instance,
“When I got back into the house, the silence of the kitchen and then the sight of the fire gone out in the grate smote me with the cruel realization that the Blessed Virgin had let me down, There was no miracle, and my mother was still in bed. At once I began to howl.”
I would recommend this story for children or teenagers considering that there is a bit of comedy and because it is a simple nice work that entertains the reader for a while, but no more than that. Also, it does not suggest a further message and the reader does not need to think very much to understand it . If you are looking for a story that changes the way you see the world, this is definitely not the best option.
12 comments:
Hi there, I am not fond of this kind of stories. It makes me really sad the situations you describe, the poor boy who have to take care of his sick mother...it is devastating. But well, this is the ugly side of the life and exists. We have to accept it and try to make something to change it.
I think I would like to read this story. I found interesting the thing that it is a boy who tells it. I will try to read it
Hi, I rememder I read this short story when I was in Language and Culture II. I cannot exactly remember the plot but more or less this boy takes care of his sick mother and buys her some medicaments. If I am not mistaken, certain day the kid meets a girl, who is his friend, and both start swallowing these medicaments since these are very sweet. Has this anything to do with this sort story, ar hasn't?
Hi, Nestor!
Yes, basically the story is about that.You are not mistaken.
yes when I started reading her review I immediately rememder that scene of the kids taking the medicaments. nestor
Hi, I read this short story in Language and Culture II too. I don't like this story because it is so sad.I can remember that awful situation when the little boy takes care of his sick mother.
I will this short story because I like reading this sort of things but I have a doubt about the story´s messeage.jesica said that the story hasn´t got a messeage but I don´t think the same as her.Is there any secret messeage when the boy takes most of the medicaments ? in my opinion,that event has a meaning .if it ´s not got any meaning let me know.Of course, I will read it as soon as I get it.
Marisol
Hi Marisol!
I said there is not any message because in my opinion there is not,I mean, at least, I did not find it but if you consider there is, please let me know besause maybe it happened that I did not realize.If you want I can lend you a copy of the story and then you tell me.
Hi, Marisol. I read this story last year. Although, I can't precisely remember the scene you refer to draw a meaning, I can remember that the passage refers to an 11 year old boy going to a drugstore to buy some medicaments for her mother who was ill. Half way, he meets a girl,a bit older than him, who convinces the kid to swallow those medicaments as they were sweet. Frankly, I cannot find any meaning. This does not mean that there could be a less obvious meaning underneath the story. Bye.
Néstor
I would like to read a story like this, mainly because I love short stories related with the author’s childhood. It is also important for me that a short story shows the social reality the author’s lives. Perhaps it does not change the way I see the world, but it would give me some information about the authors life. I think that autobiographic stories are a good way to know more about the author himself.
hi! I gave my opinion without reading the story.Please don´t feel angry.As soon as I finish reading Oscar wilde´s short story I will read "the man of the house" because I would like to read something different.and you know that I didn´t want to be rude.
marisol
Hi Marisol!
I know you did not want to be rude, and I did not feel angry at all. The thing is that as I did not liked the story ( I think that you realized by reading the review) it could happen that I did not pay much attention to any message beyond the story. That was the reason why I told you that, if you want, I can lend you the story for you to read it. I hope you enjoy this story more than me.
Post a Comment