Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mrs Bixby and the Colonel’s Coat


Roald Dahl

Kel Editions, Belgrano Bs.As.

Paperback, 160 pp., $ 22,30

Short story from Kiss Kiss

(review by Nancy Daniela Duhalde Gutierrez)

Mrs Bixby and the Colonel’s Coat, written by Roald Dahl, tells the story of how a “traditional” couple, Mrs Bixby and Cyril Bixby, can become into a cobweb. The writer uses a very colloquial style to talk about affairs and lies, and introduces the scenes in a very subtle way that the reader cannot realize about some situations that happen along the story.

The couple, who lives in New York, is losing their passion, so Mrs Bixby decides to look for the things she doesn’t have at home with another man, the Colonel. She has arranged with her husband, Mr Bixby, that she would go to Baltimore once a month to visit her old aunt. But things are different since she has “exciting reunions” with the “exceedingly wealthy” man. Eight years after those first meetings, a coat appears. As a Christmas present, a beautiful and really expensive mink coat is given to her. She cannot return home with that luxurious thing, so here begins the interesting part of the story.

The writer’s work is exquisite. He writes in a traditional but intelligent way, using colloquial style but adding some extra “touch of humour”; mixing what the reader can infer with bits of irony:

(when Mr and Mrs Bixby are talking about a pawnbroker ticket)

‘I think it’s worth finding out what it is. You see this figure of fifty dollars that’s written here? You know what that means?’

‘No, dear, what does in mean?’

‘It means that the item in question is almost certain to be something quite valuable.’

‘You mean it’ll be worth fifty dollars?’

‘More like five hundred.’

‘Five hundred!’

‘Don’t you understand?’ he said. ‘A pawnbroker never gives you more than about a tenth of the real value.’

‘Good gracious! I never knew that.’

‘There’s a lot of things you don’t know, my dear…’”

Dahl’s writing is amazing. If you read Mrs Bixby and the Colonel’s Coat, you will not put it down till the end. This story is really absorbing. Highly recommended.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Nancy. Roald Dahl is a great writer. I enjoy reading and trying to guess what is going to happen in his stories, but there is always "the unespected". This is the feature that I find lovely when I read stories.

Anonymous said...

I really like this short story. I read it three years ago and I vividly remember the unexpected ending that it has. Don't miss this story, it has an involving plot that you will love.

Anonymous said...

Hi there. I love this style of sotries which makes you wondering eagerly what is going to happen next. I could not put the book down. I remember when i've read it, I was extremely excited when that dialogue was taken place. For me, it is the best story i have ever read! Very funny, very ironic, very gripping, very Unexpected!!

Anonymous said...

I read this story last year and I liked it a lot. It is a great story and you can read it easily. Don't miss the opportunity to read it!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Daniela. I like this story because is easy to follow and it is very interesting.Last year I read "Boy" by the same author.It is a kind of biography that tells us his life from the moment his parents meet,continues to his chilhood and adolescence, up to the moment he decides to join to the A.A. F.F. Another story written by Roald Dahl that I read is "The Leg of Lamb" that has a twist in the tale. a feature that is commonly present in his stories.

Noelia said...

I love Roald Dahl stories. His stories are easy to read, very descriptives and you will have an unexpected or open ending.
I agree with Robert!. "Mrs Bixby and the Colonel's Coat" is one of the best stories I have ever read.

Anonymous said...

This short story is great. The author uses irony many times so I think he is an intelligent writer and this story is very interesting. Try to read it if you can.

Anonymous said...

I read this short story last year. "Mrs Bixby and the Colonel`s Coat" is a good one. As a matter of fact I love short stories which were written by Roald Dahl. From my point of view his way of telling story is outstanding.