Tuesday, September 30, 2008

“The Landlady”, by Roald Dahl


From Kiss Kiss

 

   Billy Weaver needed to find a place to spend the night after a long journey from London to Bath. He was looking for a hotel, but on his way he found a lovely house with a printed notice in the window. “BED AND BREAKFAST”. “And now a queer thing happened to him”. He was forced by a strange force to enter.  A charming landlady received him. Billy found some uncommon things in that place. Only two boys had been there in a couple of years, the lady’s dead pets were embalmed in the living-room. And then…

   This short story reflects Roald Dahl’s absorbing way of writing. You cannot put it down. Highly recommended.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love Roald Dahld´s style of writing. he is one of my favourites writers and I think that I will read this short story as soon as I can.

marisol

Anonymous said...

The thruth is that I really like Roald Dahl´s stories. I don´t remember one of the stories we read written by him that I haven´t enjoyed , I think that it has to do , of course, with his way of writing but the fact that he always talk about ordinary people and there is a lot of irony in his books.Another element that I like is the final twist. Dahl´s stories are always a good option.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blas Bigatti said...

Sorry Nestor. I had to remove your comment because you gave away the ending!!!!
Never do that if you want other people to read the story.

Anonymous said...

Off course I want other people to read the story. To think that I wrote a comment to suggest the rest of the peole not to read something, as you say, is strange. I was just commenting, as I always do, and it was not on purpose that I have anticipated the final of any of those three comments as you are suggesting here. Anyway, it doesn't matter. BYe.

Anonymous said...

I like Dahl very much, but this story didn,t appeal to me. Anyway, I think he's great.

Blas Bigatti said...

Come on, Néstor!
What makes you say that I suggested you were doing it on purpose?
Always glad to have you commenting!
Keep on like that.
See you.

Anonymous said...

The way in which Roald Dahl deals with the unpredictable in ‘Kiss Kiss’ is wonderful. As a reader I have always been surprised by the twist of the events of his short stories and I have never felt mislead by his writings. Dahl’s psychological view can be clearly recognized in his creations. The most obcure of the human nature is eloquently expressed in ‘The Landlady’ that is a great story.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard about Roald Dahld. I like stories of suspense. Thus, I will have it in mind.